Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Science

Hello and welcome to Guinea Pig 101. Today I am going to try to as cool as possible on teaching some science stuff I have learned in the past couple weeks. You may need an adult to help you read because I have some pretty big words that I am going to use. But hey, in science there has to be big words. (at least that is what I think)

Now to get on with the post before I lose my crowd. I am going to try to do the best that I can teaching you the differences and alikes of Homogenous Mixtures and Heterogenous Mixtures! I told you that I was going to use big words.

Here is a example of Homogenous Mixtures-Salt water dissolves and makes a SOLUTION. Also known as a Homogenous Mixture. Salt is saluable, which means it can dissolve in the water.

Here is a example of Hetergenous Mixtures-The sand did not dissolve in the water which made a SUSPENSION. Also known as a Hetergenous Mixture. Sand is non Saluable which means that it can not dissolve in the liquid. It will just sink the bottom.

When filtering out the water with both salt and sand in it the salt will go right through the filter because it is dissolved in the water. The sand on the other hand won't because it is to thick and does not dissolve.

Something fun to do after you have filtered water, which by the way is called a filtrate, you can put the filtrate in dish of some type and let it sit for a few days. When you come back to it you will see crystalized salt in its place instead of the liquid known as water(H2O). What happened was the water had changed to a gas leaving in its place the salt that was in the dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment